ICAF/ICAT Certification Programs Online Application Instructions
- Complete the online application;
- Pay the application fee (non-refundable).
All payments are through PayPal. A submitted application is not considered complete until the application fee payment has been successfully processed by PayPal and CELA has been notified by PayPal that the payment has processed. CELA cannot process incomplete applications. Allow up to 10 business days for payments to process. All amounts are U.S. dollars (USD).
Required Supporting Documentation
- Resume or CV – most recent copy
- Personal Statement – the Personal Statement is an essay. It must be a minimum of 650 words and a maximum of 1,000 words. Personal statements are to be written using Times New Roman font, 12 point, and with standard (1-inch) margins.
In the Personal Statement, describe your background, experiences and any training you may have had in counseling, facilitation, expressive/creative arts therapies, or working with groups, couples, and individuals. Discuss your experiences and the different populations with whom you have worked. Share why you are interested in Creative Arts Therapy and why you are applying for certification as an Intermodal Creative Arts Facilitator (ICAF) or as an Intermodal Creative Arts Therapist (ICAT). Include information about any certifications, credentials, special awards, or other related information you may have.
- Arts Statement – the Arts Statement is an essay. It must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 700 words. Arts Statements are to be written using Times New Roman font, 12 point, and with standard (1-inch) margins.
In the Arts Statement, describe your background in the creative arts and any training you may have had in the arts. Discuss your primary and two secondary arts area choices for ICAF or ICAT certification and the influence the arts have had on yoru life and in your work.
- Official Transcript(s) – CELA requires official transcripts in sealed envelopes with an official signature written across the sealed flap to be sent directly from your school(s) to CELA.
An official transcript is required for any coursework completed at the college level. If you have not completed coursework at the college level, please include a copy of your high school diploma (or GED) and high school transcript with your application materials. If you have completed your undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree, you do not have to submit your high school transcript and the copy of you high school diploma and only need to submit transcripts from the degree-granting college or university.
- Transfer Credit – transfer credit for prior completion of course(s) requires the submission of an official transcript from a CELA-approved community college/college/university with a passing grade of B- or higher. Does not apply to all ICAF/ICAT certification course requirements. The Transfer Credit Request form is part of the application packet and needs to be completed and submitted with your application materials. Official transcripts are required for any course for which you are applying to receive transfer credit.
Submitting Supporting Documentation
Upload scanned documents in pdf or jpg formats – this is CELA’s preferred method. Once CELA has received your online or email application, an online folder will be created for you. We will email you a link that you can use to upload your documents into the online folder.
IMPORTANT: this does not include the required recommendation letters or any transcripts as these documents must be sent through the regular mail.
Hardcopies – there are some situations when hardcopy documents need to be sent through the regular mail. Contact Admissions regarding these special situations in advance. Please make sure to save copies of your submission materials for your records.
We’re here to answer any questions you may have:
All amounts and fees are subject to change without notice. The most current rates and fees are posted on the CELA website.